British police made their first arrest on Saturday over the bombing of a London underground train, detaining a man at the country’s main ferry port and describing the development as significant.
30 people were treated in hospital after the bomb detonated in a packed train carriage on Friday morning, in what was Britain’s fifth terror attack in six months. The blast inflicted flash burns on passengers while others fled in panic.
Police in the southern port area of Dover said an 18-year-old man had been detained and he is due to be transferred to custody in London.
“This arrest will lead to more activity from our officers,” they said in a statement, outlining that the teenager was being held under anti-terror legislation.
Friday’s incident which was claimed by the Islamic State group has led to the national threat level being raised to critical — meaning another attack could be imminent.
Prime Minister Theresa May announced late Friday that troops numbering 1,000 were deployed and would take on responsibility for guarding key sites, including nuclear facilities, to free up police.
In a statement, anti-terrorism Chief Mark Rowley said officers were “chasing down suspects”.
“Somebody has planted this improvised explosive device on the Tube. We have to be open-minded at this stage about him and potential associates,” he said.
The post London Train Attack: British Police Arrest 18-year-old appeared first on Channels Television.